Several python dependent ports need updating to 2.5

Harry Parker harrylparker at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 22:37:34 PDT 2007

I've spent the last 2 evenings working on getting a py25-scipy suite
of tools installed.
This is on a fresh copy of MacPorts, so no old Python port exists.
SciPy has MANY direct and indirect dependencies, so I've been doing it
piece by piece.

First I installed python25, because supports the latest available
SciPy. Then I tried py25-ipython, which didn't work until I installed
the unlisted dependency, py25-hashlib. Somewhere along the line of
installing py25-numpy, and py25-pil, "python" (with no numbers) port
got installed.

Tonight I installed py25-scipy ok, but then caught py-dateutil (a
dependency for py25-matplotlib) trying to install python24! I stopped
it and changed its port file attribute "PortGroup" from "python24" to
"python25". That worked. Another py25-matplotlib dependency is py-tz,
which also has the PortGroup python24.

What is the right thing to do? Simply edit all the port file's
'python24's into 'python25's?  Create new py25-tz and py25-dateutil
and py25-whatever ports with only that one change?

The normal "Pythonic" way is to install these extensions into the
active Python's site library rather than to a hard linked version of
Python. Is there a way to do that in MacPorts? (The normal way is to
use the environment variable, PYTHONPATH, which points to the
site-packages folder.)