Gimp install no longer stuck- sure is slow

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Thu Oct 4 19:06:56 PDT 2007

Hi Jeff,

> Is the gimp install supposed to take hours?

Since MacPorts builds its packages from source by default, much
depends on what's being installed and speed at which your machine can
compile the software.  In your case, the GTK graphics library needed
to be built and installed (as Gimp needs it and you didn't already
have it), and GTK takes quite a bit of time to build.  I haven't
tried installing the Gimp myself, but I think it may take a while to
build as well.  Furthermore, your iBook G4 will take noticeably
longer than newer processor to build large programs like these.

Given all this, I wouldn't be terribly surprised for it to take
several hours.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

--