installing a known tar.gz

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Fri Oct 5 08:27:31 PDT 2007

On Oct 5, 2007, at 11:21 AM, ara.t.howard wrote:
> i'm trying to compile the latest ruby (stable-snapshot.tar.gz)
> using the ports compiler toolchain.  i though i might be able to do
> something like
>
>   sudo cp stable-snapshot.tar.gz distfiles/ruby/ruby-1.8.6.tar.gz
>   sudo port -p -f install ruby
>
> but no joy.  that complained about the checksums.  next i edited
> the Portfile to reflect that actual checksums but still no joy.
>
> is there a preferred mechanism for doing what i'm trying to do:
> install a port with an alternate tarball?

The best way to do this would be to make your own portfile (based off
of the existing ruby one).

mkdir ruby
cd ruby
port cat ruby > Portfile
vim Portfile
port install

... should probably work for you.

Check out the guide (http://geeklair.net/macports_guide/), you may
end up wanting your own local macports repository (http://
geeklair.net/macports_guide/#development.local-repositories)
--
Daniel J. Luke