unregistered files/modules

Emmanuel Hainry ehainry at free.fr
Mon Oct 8 01:03:37 PDT 2007

Citando David Epstein :
> I have just started using Macports and I wonder how to get round the
> following annoying problem. Each port that I
> download

What do you mean by download?

> complains about a
> number of files (between 5 and 35) that are "unregistered". The install
> stops at every single error and aborts. As a result, I have a great deal of
> manual work, deleting these unregistered files, having to restart the
> install each time. Moreover, using root privileges to delete the
> unregistered files creates unpleasant opportunities for typos.
>
> I had a glance at the macports-users archive, but couldn't find an index. I
> tried Google, but couldn't find any sensible leads on this. I read "man
> port", but it's unclear to me exactly what each option does, and I'm
> concerned that I'll do the wrong thing.
>
> 1. Where can I find a fuller explanation of the options to "port" than that
> given by "man port"?

Fuller, I don't think it exists. Clearer maybe in the new guide
http://geeklair.net/new_macports_guide but the man page should be the
most exhaustive source.

> 2. How should I proceed in the light of the difficulties explained in the
> first paragraph?

You should report which port you are trying to install, what files come
in the way (unregistered), at which phase in the installation it
happened and who you think installed them. And then either file a ticket
on trac.macports.org (after checking that it has not already been
reported) either tell the people here.

> 3. I am tempted to download the entire Darwinports/Macports tree, but it
> looks as though this would take ages even without the manual work described
> above.

Downloading the tree means getting the source of macports and the
recipes (Portfiles) of the ports. It does not conflict with anything.
Installing all the ports on the other hand would really take ages, is
impossible (some ports are conflicting with each other and they are
supposed to), and has no interest. You should just install what you need
or think you may need.

Emmanuel