"man port" not working?

Instruct ICC instructicc at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 8 13:25:42 PDT 2007

> > In Terminal (as opposed to X11 xterm) where "port search php" works:
> > /sw/share/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/local/share/man:/usr/X11R6/man:/
> > sw/lib/perl5/5.8.6/man
> >
> > Should there be (Was there an) /opt/... when it worked?
> > Maybe Porticus hosed it?
>
> MacPorts does not set your MANPATH to anything. You may set it if you
> wish.
>
> I see /sw in your path there. So I guess you have Fink installed too.
> That's just asking for trouble. I recommend you use either Fink or
> MacPorts, but not both. Completely remove the one you no longer wish
> to use.
>
> I also see /usr/local in that path. Stuff in /usr/local can interfere
> with MacPorts too. I recommend you remove everything from /usr/local
> and use MacPorts to install whatever software you need. If software
> you need is not in MacPorts, portfiles can be added.

I was thinking to mark this thread RESOLVED, but you raised an interesting point.

"That's just asking for trouble."
I thought the great thing about Fink and Macports is that they each use their own directory, so I don't have to worry about my Apple installations.

Obviously Fink changed my MANPATH, but what is the normal setup for man to work with Macports?

I ended up adding /opt/local/man to MANPATH and "man port" works.

My co-worker says, "adding any non-Apple software is asking for trouble".  So what do you do when you can't find a package in your current setup?  You look for something like Macports, Fink, or a tarball.