"man port" not working?

Instruct ICC instructicc at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 8 14:10:50 PDT 2007

> During the configuration phase of some software, it will
> look for programs which tell it how to link with other software. For
> example, pkg-config may be used to figure out where you have, say,
> fontconfig installed. So it's possible that while building software
> using Fink, it finds pkg-config from MacPorts, which will tell it to
> link against fontconfig (or other libraries) that were installed with
> MacPorts. Or vice-versa. This is bad, and you avoid it by using only
> one package manager or the other, not both.
>
> Compilers like gcc always look in /usr/local for libraries. We do not
> know how to turn this off. Therefore, if you have libraries in /usr/
> local/lib, software built using MacPorts or Fink may link with those
> libraries, which is also bad. The solution is to remove everything
> from /usr/local and only use your package manager to install such
> software.

"We do not know how to turn this off."
I don't know if this may help, but in "man gcc", look at
GCC_EXEC_PREFIX
and look at
-B

In LIBRARY_PATH, it says, "(but directories specified with -L come first)"

Apparently -L is set with prefixes from -B.

"For each subprogram to be run, the compiler driver first tries the
           -B prefix, if any.  If that name is not found, or if -B was not
           specified, the driver tries two standard prefixes, which are
           /usr/lib/gcc/ and /usr/local/lib/gcc/."

"-B prefixes that effectively specify directory names also apply to
           libraries in the linker, because the compiler translates these
           options into -L options for the linker."