"man port" not working?

Instruct ICC instructicc at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 8 14:35:29 PDT 2007

On Oct 8, 2007, at 4:25 PM, Instruct ICC wrote quoting Ryan Schmidt:> I see /sw in your path there. So I guess you have Fink installed too.
> That's just asking for trouble. I recommend you use either Fink or
> MacPorts, but not both. Completely remove the one you no longer wish
> to use.
>
> I also see /usr/local in that path. Stuff in /usr/local can interfere
> with MacPorts too. I recommend you remove everything from /usr/local
> and use MacPorts to install whatever software you need. If software
> you need is not in MacPorts, portfiles can be added.

I thought the great thing about Fink and Macports is that they each use their own directory, so I don't have to worry about my Apple installations.
Your problems with MANPATH are a good illustration. It can matter a great deal what your search order  in PATH is as well as well and may result in the wrong versions of libs getting picked up or the wrong version of programs run .......

I think apps should say what changes they make to environmental variables.  And some do.  I did see .profile.mpsaved
Since Macports does not touch MANPATH, I disagree that this is a good demonstration.
I agree that my PATH will affect which app I run.  Do I want Apple's bundled PHP or MAMP's, Fink's, Macports, or a manual install's?
They should all be able to coexist.  And I will explicitly list the path to the app I want or I will adjust my PATH for this shell.
I just don't know what "broke" 'man port' today.  But I'm looking in the direction of Porticus.

As far as building with libs in different paths, I replied elsewhere on this list today.  But configure can always report, "lib not found in /the/path/i/searched"