install --withSomeFlag

Florenz Kley fl at well.com
Tue Oct 9 01:14:36 PDT 2007

hi,

On Oct 8, 2007, at 05:42, Instruct ICC wrote:

> I installed php5-gtk with "sudo port install php5-gtk" and I
> noticed that mysql functions are not installed.
> /opt/local/bin/php-config has configure_options '--without-mysql'
> which I would need to be '--with-mysql'.
>
> I was thinking of modifying php-config and somehow launch
> ./configure
> make
> sudo make install
> to reconfigure and reinstall with this flag, but I cannot find such
> a "build from source" directory.  Probably "clean"ed?

there are two ways - using a "variant" or doing it manually. For the
most common configurations, variants already exist, check "port
variants <portname>"

the different phases for fetching, cheking, unpacking, patching,
configuring, installing and activating can be run by themselves (see
port(1) "targets")

the "build" directory is under /opt/local/var/macports/build/

when I had problems with a port that would not build, I let it run
until it stopped with an error it had during build, and manually
changed stuff in the build directory until it built cleanly. When
make finished, I let port install it into destroot to check it there
with chroot, and the let it install for real.

More elegant is patching the port file itself, that drives the
process, but I didn't know that, then. "port file <portname>" shows
you the port file, where you can change e.g. arguments for configure,
or define a new variant.

regards
Florenz