unregistered files/modules

David Epstein David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk
Tue Oct 9 22:11:20 PDT 2007

Ryan Schmidt-24 wrote:

> A-ha! Revelation! You have things in /opt/local that did not come
> from MacPorts!...[snip]...
>
> MacPorts likes to be in almost complete control of its prefix, likes
> to know what's in it. (It's fine to keep some config files there, but
> having other software there that MacPorts doesn't know about is not
> ok.) Paul's advice is good -- move /opt/local out of the way.
> However, you cannot move a directory into itself. So, try "mv /opt/
> local /opt/local-old"

I'll move /opt/local aside, as you and Paul Beard suggest.

But I have the impression that quite a number of non-macports packages want
to be placed in /opt/local, and even do so without asking permission. So
this could conflict with what you say about MacPorts wanting to keep
/opt/local/ to itself. I have certainly been advised by people who know a
lot more about software than I do, that downloaded software should go into
/opt/local/.
David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk