cyrus-imapd?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Oct 9 22:50:21 PDT 2007

On Oct 9, 2007, at 15:20, paul beard wrote:

> On 10/9/07, Clint McIntosh wrote:
>
>> I desperately need to install cyrus-imapd on OSX(non server)  via
>> macports
>> ASAP but when I do port install cyrus-imapd I get hte following:
>>
>> holodeck:~ root# port install cyrus-imapd
>> --->  Fetching cyrus-imapd
>> --->  Attempting to fetch cyrus-imapd-2.3.8.tar.gz from
>> http://ftp.andrew.cmu.edu/pub/cyrus-mail/
>> --->  Attempting to fetch cyrus-imapd-2.3.8.tar.gz from
>> http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/distfiles/cyrus-imapd
>> --->  Attempting to fetch cyrus-imapd-2.3.8.tar.gz from
>> http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/distfiles/general/
>> --->  Attempting to fetch cyrus-imapd-2.3.8.tar.gz from
>> http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/downloads/cyrus-imapd
>> Error: Target org.macports.fetch returned: fetch failed
>> Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>>
>> Where can I get cyrus-imapd??? I've tried getting it from the
>> cmu.edu ftp
>> site but I can't figure out how to get it installed.
>
> looks like you will need to tweak the Portfile to reflect the newer
> version number
>
> ftp://ftp.andrew.cmu.edu/pub/cyrus/cyrus-imapd-2.3.9.tar.gz
>
> as well as edit the checksums

I'll Cc the maintainer (jmpp) to perform this update.

That's not the problem here, though. The problem is that CMU's web
server appears to be malfunctioning and is not serving any FTP files
at this time. Perhaps the maintainer could contact CMU about this.
I've worked around this for the cyrus-imapd port in r29784 by adding
the FTP server as a backup master site. Wait 30 minutes, selfupdate
or sync, and then try again. Or you can manually download the
distfile and place it in /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/cyrus-
imapd and you should be good to go.

The only other port failing to download due to this problem was mpack
which I fixed in r29785. Hope the maintainer (shadow) doesn't mind.

> (there is an argument to port that will ignore checksums, isn't
> there?).

Absolutely not. The whole point of the checksums is to ensure that
the distfile you download is the same one the maintainer used when
they created the port. We do not want users to be able to install any
distfile other than exactly that one.

If the user encounters a checksum error while attempting to install a
port, they should consult the MacPorts FAQ and follow the steps there
for determining why the checksum error occurred and what to do about it.