Remove files

William Davis frstan at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 9 23:43:53 PDT 2007

On Oct 10, 2007, at 1:23 AM, David Epstein wrote:

> Does MacPorts have a version of rm that does secure removal of
> files (that is, scribbling over the disk so that info cannot be
> recovered)? I want this for files about my bank dealings---I'm not
> referring to files that come from MacPorts downloads.
>
> Does MacPorts have a version of rm that (unlike Unix, but like Mac
> Os X) is undoable?
>
> Metaquestion: how would one research this issue before writing in
> to this list? I tried but failed.
>
> Thanks from David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk

found it!

william-davis-computer-3:~ frstan$ port search srm
srm                            sysutils/srm   1.2.8        srm is a
secure replacement for rm(1).

however after building it I got this:

william-davis-computer-3:~ frstan$ srm testfile
dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _fdatasync
   Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/srm
   Expected in: flat namespace

dyld: Symbol not found: _fdatasync
   Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/srm