gnome-session failure on xsession

William Davis frstan at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 10 19:52:49 PDT 2007

On Oct 10, 2007, at 10:16 PM, Vincent McGarry wrote:

> This is a new MacBook Pro with a virgin macports installation.
> Attempting to install gnome-session fails with:
>
> checking for X... no
> configure: error: X is required, but it was either disabled or not
> found.
> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
> shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_x11_x
> render/work/libXrender-0.9.0" && ./configure --prefix=/opt/local "
> returned error 1
> Command output: checking if /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 supports -fno-rtti -
> fno-exceptions... no
> checking for /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 option to produce PIC... -fno-common
> checking if /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 PIC flag -fno-common works... yes
> checking if /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 supports -c -o file.o... yes
> checking whether the /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports
> shared libraries... yes
> checking dynamic linker characteristics... darwin8.10.3 dyld
> checking whether stripping libraries is possible... yes
> checking if libtool supports shared libraries... yes
> checking whether to build shared libraries... yes
> checking whether to build static libraries... yes
> configure: creating libtool
> appending configuration tag "CXX" to libtool
> checking for ld used by /usr/bin/g++-4.0... /usr/bin/ld
> checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... no
> checking whether the /usr/bin/g++-4.0 linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports
> shared libraries... yes
> checking for /usr/bin/g++-4.0 option to produce PIC... -fno-common
> checking if /usr/bin/g++-4.0 PIC flag -fno-common works... yes
> checking if /usr/bin/g++-4.0 supports -c -o file.o... yes
> checking whether the /usr/bin/g++-4.0 linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports
> shared libraries... yes
> checking dynamic linker characteristics... darwin8.10.3 dyld
> checking whether stripping libraries is possible... yes
> appending configuration tag "F77" to libtool
> checking for pkg-config... /opt/local/bin/pkg-config
> checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
> checking for X_CFLAGS...
> checking for X_LIBS...
> checking for X... no
> configure: error: X is required, but it was either disabled or not
> found.
>
> Warning: the following items did not execute (for xrender):
> org.macports.activate org.macports.configure org.macports.build
> org.macports.destroot org.macports.install
> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: control-center
> evolution-data-server gnome-platform-suite at-spi gail gtk2 cairo
> xrender jpeg pango Xft2 xorg-xproto xorg-util-macros tiff libbonobo
> intltool p5-xml-parser perl5.8 orbit2 libidl p5-getopt-long p5-
> pathtools audiofile esound gconf gnome-mime-data gnome-vfs howl
> gnome-vfs-monikers gtk-doc scrollkeeper docbook-xml docbook-xml-4.3
> docbook-xml-4.4 docbook-xml-4.5 libart_lgpl libbonoboui libgnome
> [...]

I assume your using Mac OS10.4.10, yes? Did you down load the latest
versions of XCODE (2.4.1 I think) and the SDKs and X11 from the apple
site?  The versions on your DVD may not be current. Mine werent and
Mac Software Update program does not check on XCODE, X11, SDK etc.....

and what is your ENV look like?