Files installed outside the MacPorts directory?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 11 01:49:42 PDT 2007

On Oct 11, 2007, at 03:22, Hans Mogren wrote:

> paul beard wrote:
>
>> On 10/10/07, Hans Mogren wrote:
>>
>>> After installing apache2 (or rather, apache2 +no_startupitem) I
>>> got the
>>> message that stuff was done outside the MacPorts /opt/local
>>> directory.
>>> Can I find out exactly what was done?
>>
>> port contents apache2 should do it.
>
> I thought so as well, but everything it lists is in /opt/local. So
> either
> "port contents" doesn't list all files installed or the message was
> incorrect. I was hoping for to find out which one it is.

Read the message again. It doesn't say stuff was done outside the
MacPorts /opt/local directory. It said something more like the port
has requested to violate the mtree layout. There is a certain
standard directory tree layout to which well-behaved Unix software is
supposed to conform (in which things get installed into specific
directories under /opt/local, such as bin, lib, share, and so on).
The apache2 port deliberately does not conform to this layout,
instead installing most items into /opt/local/apache2.