master_sites question

Chris Pickel sfiera at macports.org
Thu Oct 11 10:06:01 PDT 2007

On 11 Oct, 2007, at 10:27, script this wrote:
> I'm trying to port fvwm2 and so far there have been 3
> packages that for whatever reason wouldn't download
> from the sites in master_sites list in the Portfiles.
> I've downloaded the packages myself, put them on my
> own server, added my site to each Portfile's
> master_site list, then rerun port fvwm2.  Is there a
> "global" master_sites setting somewhere that I can add
> my url to?  So I don't have to edit each Portfile?  It
> looks like they all have this line in the master_sites
> list:
>
> macports:lt:lt
>
> what does it mean?  can i use it for my purposes
> somehow?

Roughly, the syntax of a master_sites declaration is "location:tag",
with the tag being optional. Obviously, valid locations include e.g.
http://example.org/ or ftp://example.org/.

macports also supports locations such as, in this case, macports:lt.
That is rewritten to http://svn.macosforge.org/repository/macports/
distfiles/lt/

The purpose of the tag is to identify the locations of multiple
distfiles. In any of the ports you see macports:lt:lt in, you would
see the e.g. "ltmain13:lt" meaning that the file "ltmain13" should be
downloaded from the master_site with the tag "lt".

To more directly address your concern, the file /opt/local/share/
macports/resources/port1.0/fetch/mirror_sites.tcl lists mirror sites
for `macports`. I believe if you add your site there, it will be used
as part of the standard fallback procedure. Changes will be
overwritten on selfupdate, since you're really not supposed to be
changing that file ;)

If your goal is to produce a working fvwm2 port, the files should
really be fetchable, though. If you've found them online, the best
thing would be to point the master_sites there, or at worst to upload
them to the standard macports distfiles dir for the benefit of
everyone else.

Chris