Can't selfupdate -- libcurl present but not found

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Oct 15 14:09:51 PDT 2007

On Oct 15, 2007, at 11:06, Philip Hudson wrote:

> I have a persistent issue with MacPorts 1.5.0.
>
> selfupdate to 1.520 fails on a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.4.10.
> Multiple reinstalls of MacPorts 1.5.0 have not solved it.
>
> Incidentally, although I've moved all the directories named in the
> FAQ for uninstalling, I notice that the installer UI's last screen
> button text always says "Upgrade", not "Install", though the panel
> body text says "...perform a basic installation...".

That's only because a receipt is still in /Library/Receipts. We
should update the uninstall instructions to include removing the
receipt.

> Other MacPorts 1.5.0 installations on two PowerPC PowerBook G4s on
> the same LAN (one Titanium running 10.3.9, one Aluminum running
> 10.4.10) managed to selfupdate to 1.520 correctly.
>
> I guess it's unlikely that it's an Intel-only bug -- it would have
> been spotted long ago -- so I guess there's something wrong with
> where/how I have curl installed on the MBP.
>
> Here's the error message:
>
> > selfupdate
>
> MacPorts base version 1.5 installed
> Downloaded MacPorts base version 1.520
> Configuring, Building and Installing new MacPorts base
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: selfupdate failed: Error installing new
> MacPorts base: shell command "cd /opt/local/var/macports/sources/
> rsync.macports.org/release/base && ./configure --prefix=/opt/local
> --with-install-user=root --with-install-group=admin --with-
> tclpackage=/Library/Tcl && make && make install" returned error 1
> Command output: checking for copyfile... yes
> checking if readlink conforms to POSIX 1003.1a... yes
>    ... lots of checks ...
> checking whether tclsh was compiled with threads... yes
> checking for curl-config... no
> configure: error: cannot find curl-config. Is libcurl installed?
>

> Here's my curl locations and other relevant stuff:
>
> % echo $PATH
>
> /opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/
> local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin
>
> % where curl
>
> /opt/local/bin/curl # MacPorts
> /sw/bin/curl        # Fink
>
> % /opt/local/bin/curl --version
>
> curl 7.16.4 (i386-apple-darwin8.10.1) libcurl/7.16.4 zlib/1.2.3
> Protocols: tftp ftp telnet dict http file
> Features: Largefile libz
>

> % /sw/bin/curl --version
>
> curl 7.15.3 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.4.0) libcurl/7.15.3 OpenSSL/
> 0.9.7l zlib/1.2.3
> Protocols: tftp ftp telnet dict ldap http file https ftps
> Features: IPv6 Largefile NTLM SSL libz
>
> % tcsh --version # MacPorts' tcsh, not Darwin's or Fink's
>
> tcsh 6.15.00 (Astron) 2007-03-03 (i386-apple-darwin) options
> wide,nls,dl,al,kan,rh,color,filec
>

> I've googled the error message several times over the last month,
> hoping someone else might have had (and solved) the same problem,
> but without luck. I've scanned this lists archive, I've tried the
> verbose switch, I've turned off Little Snitch, I've read every word
> on the MacPorts wiki. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

I recommend you do not attempt to use both Fink and MacPorts at the
same time. Pick one, and uninstall the other. Having both is known to
cause weird problems, unless you know exactly what you're doing.