Interrupting and resuming the "Building" phase?

Emmanuel Hainry ehainry at free.fr
Tue Oct 16 09:16:27 PDT 2007

Citando Adam Funk :
> I'm trying to do `sudo port install ghc` on my old PowerBook and it's
> taking longer than I can leave the laptop sitting around to do it.  I
> tried hitting Ctl-C and then running the same command again (this
> always worked when fink, which I recently switched from, was building
> from source packages) but I just get an insurmountable error (as far
> as I can tell) and have to start over again.
>
> I know that normally make-driven builds can be interrupted and
> resumed, but I'm new to MacPorts.  How can I do this?

Most ports can be interrupted during build and macports will try to
resume the phase that was not completed. If it is in the build phase and
make is used, it should work. ghc is one exception, so unfortunately, in
this case, there is no way (that I know of) to use what was already
built. To convince yourself, you can go into the build directory
(something like /opt/local/var/macports/build/_*ghc/work/ghc*) and type
make, you should get the same error).

However, if you just put your powerbook to sleep instead of interrupting
the build, the build would go on when you wake it up again.

Emmanuel