portupgrade

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Oct 17 14:12:18 PDT 2007

On Oct 5, 2007, at 09:41, ara.t.howard wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2007, at 11:14 PM, Erwan David wrote:
>
>> I also doubt portupgrade will work with macports. But some
>> features are
>> interesting. An exemple is the fact that in upgrading it will
>> order the
>> recompilations thus avoiding recompiling 6 or 7 time the same
>> library, as
>> macports do.
>
> yeah it's pretty slick.  non-essential, but slick.
>
> porting it, no pun intended, might be fun.  i read the code and
> it's very easy - i just know nothing of macports or else i might try.

You probably wouldn't so much be porting it, as taking ideas from it
and reimplementing them for MacPorts. I imagine MacPorts already does
some of the things portupgrade does. For those features of
portupgrade that you would like MacPorts to have, you would probably
want to open a discussion on the macports-dev list, explain what you
want the feature to do, how it would work, what the syntax would be,
what the behavior would be. After there's consensus that this is a
good feature to add, then hacking on the base code could begin. Note
that MacPorts is written in Tcl.