gnome-session launch errors

Stefan Bruda bruda at cs.ubishops.ca
Wed Oct 17 19:20:59 PDT 2007

Hi,

paul beard wrote:
> Looks like something needs updating?
>
> Link (dyld) error:
> Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libgnomecanvas-2.0.dylib
> Referenced from: /opt/local/lib/libgnome-desktop-2.2.dylib
> Reason: Incompatible library version: libgnome-desktop-2.2.dylib
> requires version 2001.0.0 or later, but libgnomecanvas-2.0.dylib
> provides version 1999.0.0

Had the same problem (with eog, gthumb, and gnome-terminal recently,
though it may be that you did not get there).  Some applications need to
be recompiled when the underlying libraries change (i.e., are upgraded).
Gentoo does it automatically (through the revdep-rebuild script) but as
far as I know it has to be done by hand in Macports.  The above is a
symptom of this issue.

When I see an incompatible version like this I first look for which port
owns the not loaded library:

    < godel:~ > port provides /opt/local/lib/libgnomecanvas-2.0.dylib
    /opt/local/lib/libgnomecanvas-2.0.dylib is provided by: libgnomecanvas

and then I rebuild the respective package (libgnomecanvas in this case).
This fixes the problem, and it is also a nightmare--I don't understand why
a revdep-rebuild-like utility is not on the radar for the near future, as
such a breakage does occur from time to time and is extremely annoying.

BY the way, does anybody know what dependency (I kin dof guess it is a
dependency like this) causes firefox-x11 not to show file choosers?
Please help.

Stefan