Macports tree cleanup

paul beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 08:19:49 PDT 2007

On 10/18/07, CHENG Gao <chenggao at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think macports tree needs cleanup. For example, there are new/tin
> (1.8.1), news/tin-devel (1.7.10) and news/tin-current (1.9.2). In fact
> the latest stable release is 1.8.3 and current release is 1.9.2, so
> devel version 1.7.10 is obviously outdated and useless.
>
> Another example is apple-gcc. Tree has apple-gcc33 build 1819, and
> apple-gcc40 build 5363, while latest Tiger 10.4.10 has build 5367.
> Should they be updated? Or even apple-gcc33 be removed?
>
> I trust there are other packages like this.

On a theoretical level, this makes sense and would be best addressed
on a port by port basis. On a practical level, it's probably a
function of available time and feedback from users that new versions
are out and in wider adoption.

If there are ports that particularly trouble you, have you contacted
the maintainer or tried to update the port yourself?
--
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/
<paulbeard at gmail.com/paulbeard at mac.com>