wxMaxima port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 18 22:29:54 PDT 2007

Sending your entire message back to the list, and then replying to it
at the end. Please remember to Reply To All in the future so that
your reply automatically goes to the list too, and not just to me.

On Oct 19, 2007, at 00:07, John Doner wrote:

> Ok, I followed the suggestion to move /usr/local out of the way.
> Then I repeated my command to port install wxmaxima.  This seemed
> to work, in that it finished without any disastrous error.
> However, when I ran wxmaxima,
> the window reported that it couldn't connect to maxima.  So I
> restored /usr/local as it had been (there's a maxima at /usr/local/
> bin/maxima), set the wxmaxima preference so it could find it, and
> then wxmaxima worked.  Sort of---there were lots of "STYLE-
> WARNING"s, which didn't seem to make much difference to the program.
>
> Ok, I guess the problem is solved.  But this all leaves me with the
> question "Why does macports care about what already exists in /usr/
> local/?"  After all, its stuff is getting installed under /opt/,
> and /opt/ is normally first in the $PATH.  And, why didn't it even
> try to install maxima  in the /opt/ tree?  I had to identify the
> existing maxima for wxmaxima.
>
> I would think that, if it's important that maxima be there (it is
> in this case), macports ought to look for it and install it only if
> such a search fails.
>
> I don't know how wxmaxima generates its displays.  They look pretty
> good.  However, not as good as with imaxima; for example, a formula
> that called for larger parentheses came up with some clearly formed
> out of two halves. with a break in the middle.  I like the ones
> generated by TeX much better.  (Perhaps this has something to do
> with all those STYLE-WARNINGs I was getting.)
>
> Now I'll give the transcripts of what happened.

> john-doners-computer:~ doner$ sudo mv /usr/local /usr/local-off
> Password:
> john-doners-computer:~ doner$ sudo port install wxmaxima
> --->  Fetching jpeg
> --->  Attempting to fetch jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz from http://
> www.ijg.org/files
> --->  Attempting to fetch droppatch.tar.gz from http://sylvana.net/
> jpegcrop/
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for jpeg
> --->  Extracting jpeg
> --->  Applying patches to jpeg
> --->  Configuring jpeg
> --->  Building jpeg with target all
> --->  Staging jpeg into destroot
> --->  Installing jpeg 6b_2
> --->  Activating jpeg 6b_2
> --->  Cleaning jpeg
> --->  Fetching libmikmod
> --->  Attempting to fetch libmikmod-3.2.0-beta2.tar.gz from http://
> mikmod.raphnet.net/files/
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for libmikmod
> --->  Extracting libmikmod
> --->  Configuring libmikmod
> --->  Building libmikmod with target all
> --->  Staging libmikmod into destroot
> --->  Installing libmikmod 3.2.0-beta2_0
> --->  Activating libmikmod 3.2.0-beta2_0
> --->  Cleaning libmikmod
> --->  Fetching libogg
> --->  Attempting to fetch libogg-1.1.3.tar.gz from http://
> downloads.xiph.org/releases/ogg/
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for libogg
> --->  Extracting libogg
> [...]

MacPorts is designed to use its own libraries, not any other software
you may have installed elsewhere. Reasons for this are in the FAQ:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/
FAQ#WhyisMacPortsusingitsownlibraries

However, compilers automatically try to link to software in /usr/
local. We have not yet found the right way to prevent this, and it
causes issues, because MacPorts likes to be in control of everything,
and it is not in control of /usr/local. So the solution is to not
have anything in /usr/local.

What was the error you received when you tried to use this software
while /usr/local was renamed to something else? Or are you saying
that not all the requisite software was installed? If so, what port
was not installed that should have been? Does it then work if you
manually install that port? Or are you saying a portfile is not
existent for the software you need? If so, what is the software, its
homepage, etc?