port name unification for libraries

Jochen Küpper jochen at fhi-berlin.mpg.de
Sun Oct 21 02:26:37 PDT 2007

Dear All,

I want to propose to unify port names on a somewhat more systematic
basis. This is triggered by finding these four graphics library names:
   libpng
   libmng
   jpeg
   tiff

I think there should really be libtiff and libjpeg ports!

I understand that jpeg and tiff install more than libraries, but
nevertheless for most dependencies the libraries are the crucial
parts and it should be possible to state that in the same way as is
one for libpng.

Maybe it would be useful to separate the ports into a library-port
and an application port, i.e., libjpeg and jpeg-bin or jpeg-apps?

Please forward this to macports-devel if appropriate.

Generally it would be nice to have a section on "naming portfiles" in
the new guide.

Greetings,
Jochen
--