gnucash 2.2.1 problems (and solutions)

William Davis frstan at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 22 11:32:55 PDT 2007

On Oct 22, 2007, at 2:08 PM, Kastus Shchuka wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2007, at 10:51 AM, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>
>> On 2007-10-22 10:25:21 -0700, Kastus Shchuka wrote:
>>> First bump on the road was goffice03. I remembered reading a post
>>> in this
>>> list about problems with building gnucash against the latest
>>> goffice and
>>> introduction of a new port goffice03 as a result. I had
>>> goffice at 0.3.8
>>> already installed, so seeing this message:
>>>
>>> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error:
>>> /opt/local/include/libgoffice-0.3/goffice/app/error-info.h is
>>> being used by
>>> the active goffice port.  Please deactivate this port first, or
>>> use the -f
>>> flag to force the activation.
>>
>> Do you mean that goffice has something installed in
>> /opt/local/include/libgoffice-0.3? It seems that your goffice port
>> is out-of-date.
>
> As I mentioned earlier, I had goffice at 0.3.8 installed.
>
>> Now, there's still a bug:
>>
>> --->  Activating goffice03 0.3.8_0
>> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: /opt/
>> local/share/gtk-doc/html/goffice/ch01.html is being used by the
>> active goffice port.  Please deactivate this port first, or use
>> the -f flag to force the activation.
>>
>> Since the goffice port is needed by other ports, deactivating it
>> is not
>> an option (you may have problems with other software since you did
>> that),
>> and the -f flag is dangerous and will lead to bad files installed (at
>> least for the doc). Since goffice03 is there only for compatibility,
>> there is probably no need to install the doc (or the doc should
>> only be
>> installed via a variant). I haven't tried yet.
>
> I don't have any other gnome applicatiions besides gnucash, so I
> cannot verify what is broken by missing goffice. I will try
> installing latest goffice later.
>

>>> I just followed the advise, deactivated goffice and activated
>>> goffice03
>>> manually.
>>>
>>> Next was perl modules overwriting files owned by perl5.8 port.
>>>
>>> Running "sudo port upgrade libgnomeui" I got these:
>>>
>>> --->  Staging p5-pathtools into destroot
>>> You must install or activate this package with '-f' (force) as it
>>> needs to
>>> overwrite files installed by the perl5.8 port
>>>
>>> --->  Staging p5-getopt-long into destroot
>>> You must install or activate this package with '-f' (force) as it
>>> needs to
>>> overwrite files installed by the perl5.8 port
>>>
>>> I forced activation of p5-pathtools and p5-getopt-long and proceeded
>>> further.
>>
>> This needs to be fixed too (and warning: you can't revert such
>> changes
>> easily!). See the thread "Gimp Error".
>
> I understand that, but is there any other way to upgrade gnucash
> right now? The proper solution is to rebuild perl5.8, right?

> [...]
ok there are a few misunderstandings so let me clear up:
1. there are several p5-blahblahblah files which update perl by
overwritting a file. As far as I know, just do the activate with -f
after u get the message u got, and no problem.
2. You had goffice 0.3.8 installed.  The goffice03 update installs
goffice 0.3.8 so this was an unecessary action.
3. The problem you "remembered" was actually with office 0.5.0.  And
the only problem with that was goffice 0.5.0 was installing an update
to guile that gnucash didnt like.
4. A port was written to revert to an older guile (guile16) which
installed guile 1.6.8. It was the new *guile* which broke gnucash AFAIK.
5. THEREFORE make sure you have installed guile16. (you may need to
deactivate guile 1.8.1 in order to activate this)
6 THEN Id try uninstalling / cleaning gnucash and then reinstalling it.

hope this helps some. goodluck