gnome compilation problems

Stefan Bruda bruda at cs.ubishops.ca
Wed Oct 24 11:19:16 PDT 2007

Hi,

Barry Schiffman wrote:

> 1. gedit:
>
> I get down to compiling gedit-languages-manager.o and
> the following is reported:
>
> gedit-languages-manager.c:115: error: conflicting
> types for 'gdk_color_to_string'
>
> /opt/local/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkcolor.h:137: error:
> previous declaration of 'gdk_color_to_string' was here

I get this one too, no idea how to go around.

> 2. gnome-applets -- an undeclared variable on 'make
> all' -- what's missing?

The volume control applet cannot be compiled for some reason (did not have
time to actually find the reason), I solved this temporarily by not
compiling the said applet (I changed into the working directory, I
replaced the makefile of the offending applet with a dummy one, and I
re-issued the install command which completed successfully).

> 3. seahorse fails compiling seahorse-secure-memory.o

I have seahorse @1.0_1 installed but I have not had a chance to upgrade
this one.

> 4. This one may be covered by ticket #10880
> gnome-desktop-suite:
>
> gedit fails to compile (see below), and I get this:
>
> Error: The following dependencies failed to build:
> gedit gnome-applets seahorse

This is caused by the above three failures.

What amazes me is that every time GNOME is being updated a whole bunch of
problems appear.  For one thing dependencies need to be recompiled quite
often (doable by hand only!).  Some compilation errors are also invariably
present.  I am wondering why do I need to upgrade a stable GNOME
installation to what always turns out to be an unstable GNOME, not ready
for prime time.  I would not do that personally, except that the port
system asks me to do so.  At least in this respect a branching into stable
and development is sorely needed, as is a dependency rebuild utility.

Stefan