python25 "not a valid ppc64 mach-o file" error while trying to install gimp

Fred Brown Althot brownalf at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 10:57:18 PDT 2007

Hi,

When trying to install the GIMP, I get this little nasty:

> freds-computer:~ fred$ sudo port install -f gimp-app
> Password:
> --->  Building python25 with target all
> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd "/opt/
> local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_lang_
> python25/work/Python-2.5.1" && make all " returned error 2
> Command output: libtool -o libpython2.5.dylib -dynamic  \
>         -all_load libpython2.5.a -single_module \
>         -install_name /opt/local/lib/libpython2.5.dylib \
>         -compatibility_version 2.5 \
>         -current_version 2.5 -lSystem -lSystemStubs -L/opt/local/lib
> ld64 failed: in libpython2.5.a(__.SYMDEF), not a valid ppc64 mach-o
> file
> libtool: internal link edit command failed
> make: *** [libpython2.5.dylib] Error 1
>
> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: gimp2 py25-gtk
> py25-cairo py25-numeric python25 py25-gobject

Now, I tried installing python 2.5 independently with a package, that
seemed to work fine, but I still get the same error (I was hoping it
would detect the installed dependency and move on, but alas, it does
not).

Any help overcoming this setback would be greatly appreciated,
because I'm running out of ideas right now.

Sincerely,
Fred