python25 "not a valid ppc64 mach-o file" error while trying to install gimp

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 25 12:25:42 PDT 2007

On Oct 25, 2007, at 14:24, Fred Brown Althot wrote:

> On 25-Oct-07, at 2:41 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Oct 25, 2007, at 12:57, Fred Brown Althot wrote:
>>
>>> When trying to install the GIMP, I get this little nasty:

>>> Now, I tried installing python 2.5 independently with a package,
>>> that seemed to work fine, but I still get the same error (I was
>>> hoping it would detect the installed dependency and move on, but
>>> alas, it does not).
>>>
>>> Any help overcoming this setback would be greatly appreciated,
>>> because I'm running out of ideas right now.
>>
>> You are presumably on a 64-bit PowerPC machine, as in a G5? What
>> version of Mac OS X, Xcode and MacPorts are you using?
>
> Actually, I'm on an Intel mac.
> Sorry, should have mentioned that from the start.
> Intel Mac, OS X 10.4
> Using the latest version of macports.
>
> After running into this problem, I tried installing the universal
> macpython 2.5.1 with the .mpkg, ran port install again, same problem.

MacPorts is designed to use its own software only, not any software
you've installed manually outside of MacPorts. There are some
carefully-chosed exceptions, but I don't think python is one of them.

So if you're not on a 64-bit PowerPC machine, I wonder why it's
complaining that something is not a valid ppc64 mach-o file. Are any
of your ports compiled universally? (Did you say "sudo port install
foo +universal" for any foo?)