avahi port installs org.freedesktop.* files

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 07:51:42 PDT 2007

I've been wrestling with MacPorts for the past couple days trying to
get Gnucash updated. During which, I've removed and reinstalled
MacPorts a couple of times. This time, when building avahi I got this
error:

Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error:
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.freedesktop.avahi-daemon.plist
already exists and does not belong to a registered port.  Unable to
activate port avahi.

Investigating this, I found out that avahi installs
"org.freedesktop.avahi-daemon.plist" and
"org.freedesktop.avahi-dnsconfd.plist" to
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons. Removing these files is not covered in
the MacPorts uninstall instructions on the wiki. The instruct the user
to remove /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.* . So my
question is, should avahi install files named as such? Or should it
install them as "org.macports.avahi-*"?

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/