Is there any value to packages? [was Re: Why no binaries?]

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Oct 26 14:28:41 PDT 2007

On Oct 26, 2007, at 13:07, James Sumners wrote:

> I was mulling this over last night as I was going to sleep. It seems
> to me that the port maintainer could be relied upon to build the
> package for his respective port(s). That way, MacPorts doesn't need to
> hunt for a build machine.

The user's machine is unlikely to be clean. For example, the user may
have other ports installed, and when the user packages a port, that
packaged port may inadvertently be depending on some of the user's
other ports without his knowledge. Better to have a build machine (or
build machines) that can predictably and cleanly create packages.

> Although, someone would need to step up and maintain a cross compiler
> port for the maintainers. That would make it easier for the port
> maintainers to build the packages. If they could do something like
> `port package +g4 +g5 +intel`, I'm sure the idea would go over a lot
> better.

Surely we don't need anything like that. Anyway, it wouldn't be a
cross compiler port that we would need. Rather, each port would need
to have this capability retrofitted. It would be very similar to the
+universal variant we're already trying to retrofit into ports. I
would much rather we continue working on perfecting that, rather than
introducing ways to cross-compile things, a capability which would
probably not be very well tested and therefore buggy.

> Of course, there would then need to be functionality built into port
> to pull down binary packages instead of source packages.

Sure.