avahi port installs org.freedesktop.* files

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Oct 26 14:36:11 PDT 2007

On Oct 26, 2007, at 12:46, paul beard wrote:

> On 10/26/07, James Sumners wrote:
>
>> I've been wrestling with MacPorts for the past couple days trying to
>> get Gnucash updated. During which, I've removed and reinstalled
>> MacPorts a couple of times. This time, when building avahi I got this
>> error:
>>
>> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error:
>> /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.freedesktop.avahi-daemon.plist
>> already exists and does not belong to a registered port.  Unable to
>> activate port avahi.
>>
>> Investigating this, I found out that avahi installs
>> "org.freedesktop.avahi-daemon.plist" and
>> "org.freedesktop.avahi-dnsconfd.plist" to
>> /System/Library/LaunchDaemons. Removing these files is not covered in
>> the MacPorts uninstall instructions on the wiki. The instruct the
>> user
>> to remove /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.* . So my
>> question is, should avahi install files named as such? Or should it
>> install them as " org.macports.avahi-*"?
>
> Hmm.
>
> [/Users/paul]:: port provides /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/
> org.freedesktop.avahi- daemon.plist
> /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.freedesktop.avahi-daemon.plist is
> provided by: avahi
>
> Well, that does seem like a reasonable expectation: at first I
> thought they may come from you installing from source.
>
> Looks like wiki or the policy needs to be reviewed.

No port (and no other non-Apple software) should ever install
anything under /System!!!! The port needs to be revised to install
not in /System/Library but in /Library, and the name of the plist
should begin with org.macports not org.freedesktop. I don't see
anything in the portfile that causes this, so it must be the
project's own Makefile. In this case, a patch will need to be written
to change the name of the file. In addition, the authors of the avahi
should be notified to never install anything under /System. Someone
should file a Trac bug on this and assign and Cc it to the port's
maintainer.