Problems building autoconf

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Oct 26 14:48:47 PDT 2007

On Oct 26, 2007, at 06:32, Marcus Vinicius Eiffle Duarte wrote:

>> did you ever do:
>> sudo port selfupdate
>> ?
>> the current version of MacPorts is 1.52
>> I dont know that will solve your problem but it is where to begin
>
> my problem is that this computer is my work's computer, behind an
> authentication proxy, and I can't (at least don't how to) run the
> selfupdate command, as rsync does not authenticate on the proxy.

Yes, in that case, you will not be able to use selfupdate. You should
instead manually download the 1.5.2 source, configure, make and
install it. You can either get the 1.5.2 source from the Subversion
repository (for which you'll have to install Subversion if you don't
have it):

sudo port install apr-util +no_bdb
sudo port install subversion +no_bdb +tools
svn checkout http://svn.macosforge.org/repository/macports/tags/
release_1_5_2/base/
cd base

Or you can skip Subversion and just download and decompress the tarball:

curl -O http://svn.macosforge.org/repository/macports/distfiles/
MacPorts/MacPorts-1.5.2.tar.bz2
tar xjf MacPorts-1.5.2.tar.bz2
cd MacPorts-1.5.2

Then you can

./configure
make
sudo make install

Then you'll have MacPorts 1.5.2.

> I did find out that I was using gcc3.3, which I had to select once
> to successfully compile some other code. I will try to uninstall my
> ports, select gcc4.0.1 and install them again.

That would fix it. But, you should still upgrade to MacPorts 1.5.2 as
it contains features not in 1.5.0, and portfiles will be using those
features. If you stay at 1.5.0, you are likely to run into problems
sooner or later where a portfile requests to do something that your
MacPorts doesn't know how to do.