Is there any value to packages? [was Re: Why no binaries?]

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Fri Oct 26 15:29:01 PDT 2007

On Oct 26, 2007, at 1:56 PM, paul beard wrote:
> Is there a status document that addresses where things stand on
> efforts like this? I haven't been all that successful at building
> packages within port (port pkg foo where foo is something i would
> rather not build again on a second machine).

You can handle that pretty easily with archivemode.

I even had a patch kind of working that would look for archivemode
style archives on a remote machine (served up via the webserver)
before trying to build (and if the archive was there, it would just
download it and use it). I haven't really had time to work on the
patch to make it acceptable for merging to base/ though.

> if packages, especially meta-packages, could be licked, it would
> make things like gimp and gnome a lot more accessible, as there
> wouldn't be the huge build delay.

I think we can all agree that that is a good goal. We've had a bunch
of different attempts to approach it (archivemode, mp-light, our pre-
build packages we offered for download for a while ...), nothing has
'stuck' though.

--
Daniel J. Luke