avahi port installs org.freedesktop.* files

paul beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 10:13:27 PDT 2007

On 10/26/07, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

No port (and no other non-Apple software) should ever install
anything under /System!!!! The port needs to be revised to install
not in /System/Library but in /Library, and the name of the plist
should begin with org.macports not org.freedesktop. I don't see
anything in the portfile that causes this, so it must be the
project's own Makefile. In this case, a patch will need to be written
to change the name of the file. In addition, the authors of the avahi
should be notified to never install anything under /System. Someone
should file a Trac bug on this and assign and Cc it to the port's
maintainer.

in v1.6 would a sanity check to port, akin to the "dry run" command I see in
various utilities, make sense? Right now we have "port contents" that spells
out a port has installed, but it only works after the fact.  It has always
seemed to be that it should tell you what's in a port, regardless of whether
it has been installed or not.

And to reprise an earlier thread, this is why I favor putting all this stuff
explicitly in /opt/local/{Library|/etc}/LaunchDaemons/ and putting the
activation commands in the /etc/launchd.conf file. True, that file exists
outside the /opt sandbox but a couple of lines that don't do anything in
there make more sense than dangling symlinks or worse, files written outside
the sandbox that no one knows about until something goes wrong.

Now, if launchd.conf supported an <include> syntax, we'd be home free.

--
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/
<paulbeard at gmail.com/paulbeard at mac.com>