Is there any value to packages? [was Re: Why no binaries?]

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Sun Oct 28 02:12:49 PDT 2007

Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

> 2) Once the build product, the destroot, is done and considered
> reliable, packaging it into, say, an rpm and/or a deb package is a
> completely different topic, with its own intricacies and integration
> issues between MacPorts and the packaging format we still need to sort
> out.

I've fixed the most glaring bugs in the "pkg" and "mpkg" targets, but
there are still quite a few remaining... The first remaining issue is
to improve the current Jaguar hacks, so that it uses the Leopard
packagemanager. (No, this won't fix all the serious shortcomings of
Installer.app packages but it will just improve the MacPorts building
of them slightly) Most of the others are documented in Trac.

--anders