How to keep install base clean and slim?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Oct 28 22:07:42 PDT 2007

On Oct 28, 2007, at 23:58, Tobias Weisserth wrote:

> I have a very basic question that I couldn't answer for myself by
> looking at the port manpage or by searching the macports website.
>
> My install base is cluttered by many inactive versions of ports
> that I cannot uninstall without running in dependency problems.
>
> For example, this is a list of all the ports that I have installed:
>
> The following ports are currently installed:
>   a2ps @4.13b_3 (active)
>   aalib @1.4rc5_2 (active)
>   apr @1.2.11_0 (active)
>   apr @1.2.8_0
>   apr @1.2.9_0

[snip]

(side note: it would be nice if MacPorts would sort this in "natural
order" so that 1.2.11 appears after 1.2.9...)

> How do I get rid of inactive, duplicate versions of ports that I
> have installed without hitting the dependency wall?

sudo port -f uninstall inactive

In the future, you can

sudo port -u upgrade foo

if you would like MacPorts to upgrade foo, and automatically
uninstall (-u) the old version afterwards.