How to handle different versions of Python

Susan Mackay susanmackay at optusnet.com.au
Tue Sep 4 04:17:35 PDT 2007

I'm fairly new to Macports so please forgive me if this is an 'dumb'
question.

I am trying to build gtk-sharp, which uses avahi which, in turn, uses
py-gdbm. For various reasons, I have both python2.4 and python2.5 installed
(both installed as dependencies for other packages - I have no knowledge of
python and have not installed either from 'choice').

When configuring avahi, it could not find py-gdbm although the 'ports
installed' command listed it as active.

It turns out that the python 'sys.path' command includes all of the
pythin2.5 directories, but the py-gdbm package installs into the python2.4
directories.

I have subsequently changed the avahi dependency from 'py-gdbm' to
'py25-gdbm' and it has installed correctly. However I don't think that this
should be the sort of thing that I should be 'playing' with.

What is the correct process that I should be using to handle this situation?

It would appear that the python packages are tied to a specific version and
are not generic. Is this right?

Thanks

Susan