selfupdate headache..

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Sep 12 14:03:49 PDT 2007

On Sep 12, 2007, at 10:24, Casper Holm wrote:

> On 12/09/2007, at 15.11, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>
>> On Sep 12, 2007, at 8:53 AM, Casper Holm wrote:
>>
>>> thanks for helping this noob out, but is it possible to reinstall
>>> the apple libtool or should i reinstall system?
>>
>> Apple libtool is provided by the DeveloperTools package of Xcode.
>>
>> If this is the only thing wrong with your system, you can probably
>> just rm the gnu libtool you put in place, and install the latest
>> Xcode.
>
> Ijust found out that theres surpose to be some old gnulibtool in
> usr/bin/ so I'm afraid i did some prefix/pathing to the updated
> libtool... alas I'll take pacifist for a run to see if i can
> reinstall the apple tools..

What do you need Pacifist for? I agree with Daniel. Reinstall
Developer Tools. This is fairly easy. Use the uninstall script
provided on the Xcode disk image first. Then install again.

Here's what I have on my system:

$ cd /usr/bin
$ l *libt*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  206466 Sep 12  2006 glibtool
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel    9927 Sep 12  2006 glibtoolize
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  293636 Sep 16  2006 libtool

It looks like Developer Tools provides at least the glibtool items:

$ grep glibtool -R /Library/Receipts/* 2>/dev/null
Binary file /Library/Receipts/DeveloperTools.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom
matches

Not sure if it also provides the non-Apple libtool, but why not give
it a shot? Uninstalling and reinstalling Xcode is easier than
reinstalling the whole OS.

> "rm the gnu libtool"? rename?

"rm" is the unix remove command.