how to start with macports ?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Sep 12 17:06:27 PDT 2007

On Sep 12, 2007, at 17:53, Thomas De Contes wrote:

> Le 23 juil. 07 à 22:22, Thomas De Contes a écrit :
>
>> Le dimanche, 22 juil 2007, à 20:26 Europe/Paris, Ryan Schmidt a
>> écrit :

>>> "it doesn't works" is not a bug report we can do anything with.
>
> sorry
>
>>> Show us the actual output you receive,
>
>>> tell us what version of MacPorts, Xcode and Mac OS X you have,
>
> all the last
>
>>> what architecture you're on,
>
> PPC
>
>>> etc.
>
> need you sth else ? :-)
>
>>> and maybe we can help then.
>
> i hope :-)

>>> True, "port install" doesn't work if the port is already
>>> installed. That's why there's "port upgrade".
>>
>> well, i posted this question before seeing that now port install
>> gtk2 does nothing if gtk2 is installed
>> sorry
>>
>> i had problems when it tried to install anyway, and so made a part
>> of the upgrade but not as it should
>
> there is still the pb, but it seems to not happen at each time
> i don't know exactly in which conditions it happens or not
>
> i installed all of that in jully, an today i re-run my script to
> update all :
>

> + port install subversion
> --->  Activating subversion 1.4.5_0
> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: Another
> version of this port (subversion @1.4.4_0) is already active.
>
> + port install mpfr
> --->  Activating mpfr 2.3.0_2+darwin_8
> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: Another
> version of this port (mpfr @2.2.1_1+darwin_8) is already active.
>
> + port install gtk2
> --->  Activating gtk2 2.10.14_0
> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: Another
> version of this port (gtk2 @2.10.13_0) is already active.

Ok, so as it says, you cannot "install" those ports because they are
already installed. Instead of "port install subversion" you should
have used "port upgrade subversion", etc.

To fix this now, you need to:

port deactivate subversion @1.4.4_0
port activate subversion @1.4.5_0

port deactivate mpfr @2.2.1_1+darwin_8
port activate mpfr @2.3.0_2+darwin_8

port deactivate gtk2 @2.10.13_0
port activate gtk2 @2.10.14_0

Once you are satisfied that the new versions work, you can remove the
old versions:

port uninstall subversion @1.4.4_0
port uninstall mpfr @2.2.1_1+darwin_8
port uninstall gtk2 @2.10.13_0

If you would like MacPorts to automatically uninstall the old version
when activating the new version, use "port -u upgrade foo" instead of
"port upgrade foo"