how to make better use of native tools

Yves de Champlain yves at macports.org
Sun Sep 16 07:03:19 PDT 2007

Le 07-09-15 à 20:06, paul beard a écrit :

> On 9/15/07, Daniel Oberhoff <daniel at danieloberhoff.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I like using macports to get some stuff with lots of dependencies
> installed. I wonder though why it is neccessary for example to
> rebuild native tools such as python and perl. Because it tends to
> cause quite a bit of confusion to have several of those around
> including severel "site" folders created etc.. Now wouldn't it be
> possible to have proxy packages such as fink has? I.e. python24-
> native? It could then be an option. Dunno if macports can handle
> options like that, but it woul shure be nice.
>
> Interesting idea so long as the versions stay in sync.
>
> But the real hit is in the initial compilation of those packages/
> ports. Disk space is not a big deal anymore, is it?
> port installed | wc -l
> 323
> du -sh /opt/local
> 3.4G    /opt/local
>
> Any porters have any input on this? What breakage might result, if
> any?

I tried that for myself a few years ago and it took just one upgrade
to break compatibility with OS X provided libxml2 and have me rebuild
almost everything.  So while the idea may seem attractive, it just
does not work.  I think fink can handle it because their stable
branch moves very slowly and because they have a distinct set of
ports for every Major OS version.

yves