Overlay support?

Roger Hoover roger.hoover at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 09:33:42 PDT 2007

Hi,

I'm new to macports.  I did some searching of the documentation and couldn't
find an answer to this question.  Does macports have an equivalent of an
overlay in Gentoo portage (
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Installing_3rd_Party_Ebuilds)?  An overlay
allows you to make local customizations to ports or add new ports locally
that aren't part of the main tree.

The use case that I'm interested in is being able to add a new variant to
php5 to support the "--enable-sockets" option.  Ultimately, I think it
should be incorporated into the macports distribution but there should be a
way to experiment with local modifications to Portfiles without corrupting
what gets rsynced from macports.org and worrying that it will get
overwritten with next rsync.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks,

Roger