I cannot install help2man

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Sep 23 09:45:49 PDT 2007

On Sep 23, 2007, at 03:42, Edouard wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> [snip]

>>> It installed ok for me on 10.4 / Intel/ Xcode 2.4.1.  What
>>> platform, OS version, and Scode do you have?
>>
>> Same here, Mark, on 10.4.10 / Intel Core 2 Duo / Xcode 2.4.1 /
>> MacPorts 1.5.2.
>>
>> doupsy, do you have anything weird (or anything at all) in
>> /usr/local? If so, try moving it aside and try again. Also, make
>> sure you have MacPorts 1.5.2 (sudo port selfupdate).
>
> Hello,
>
> I have mac os x 10.4.10 ppc, I have MacPorts 1.520, I have xcode 2.4.1
> installed, I have made sudo port selfupdate.
>

> When I do : ls /usr/local, I have this :
> ./   .DS_Store   bin/  etc/     include/  lib/      man/    sbin/
> teTeX/
> ../  Trolltech/  doc/  gcc4.0/  info/     libexec/  mysql@  share/
> var/
>

> When I do : locate /bin/help2man, I have this :
> /opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macpo
> rts.org_release_ports_textproc_help2man/work/destroot/opt/local/bin/
> help2
> man
> /sw/bin/help2man
> /Users/edouardt/.Trash/destroot 21-36-53/opt/local/bin/help2man
> /Users/edouardt/.Trash/destroot/opt/local/bin/help2man
> /usr/local/bin/help2man
> /Volumes/HD/sw/bin/help2man

Oh, so you also have Fink installed (/sw). MacPorts and Fink don't
necessarily play well together. You should pick one package manager
and use it to install everything you need, and uninstall all parts of
the other package manager.

> Is it possible to remove /usr/local/bin/help2man ? I don't know if
> it is
> normal that help2man is here, in /usr/local/bin/.

Apple does not distribute anything in /usr/local, so everything you
see there was added by you, or by 3rd-party software you installed. I
do not know why it's there or what you've got that requires it. I
suspect that the MacPorts install is getting confused by something
in /usr/local, or by something in /sw, if /sw is in your $PATH. As I
said, try moving /usr/local aside (sudo mv /usr/local /usr/local-off)
and see if that helps your MacPorts port install. If not, try moving /
sw aside (sudo mv /sw /sw-off) and try again. Assuming that works,
figure out what you have installed in /sw and /usr/local and
reinstall it using MacPorts. Then get rid of those other directories
(after saving any data and config files of course) because their
presence will just continue to confuse MacPorts software if you don't.

Don't forget to use the Reply To All function of your email program
when you reply, so that your reply goes to the list too, and not just
to me.