Segfaults when staging into destroot

Dave Murray-Rust D.S.Murray-Rust at sms.ed.ac.uk
Sat Sep 22 11:59:48 PDT 2007

Hi All,

I'm having real hassles with port - most packages fail to install,
with a segfault, e.g.:

groke:503:dave>port install tiff
--->  Fetching zlib
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for zlib
--->  Extracting zlib
--->  Applying patches to zlib
--->  Configuring zlib
--->  Building zlib with target all
--->  Staging zlib into destroot
tclsh(394) malloc: *** error for object 0x312770: double free
tclsh(394) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug
tclsh(394) malloc: *** error for object 0x312770: double free
tclsh(394) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug
tclsh(394) malloc: *** error for object 0x312770: double free
tclsh(394) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug
--->  Installing zlib 1.2.3_1
tclsh(394) malloc: *** error for object 0x313760: double free
tclsh(394) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug
tclsh(394) malloc: *** error for object 0x313790: double free
tclsh(394) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug
tclsh(394) malloc: *** error for object 0x3137f0: double free
tclsh(394) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug
Segmentation fault

At other times, I get a bus error but I didn't save a copy/paste of
that, and it's not reproducible.

I've tried using a different tclsh, but the same problem persists.
I'm not certain whether port is using the new one... I've exported
PATH=/usr/local/bin, and which tclsh points to the newly installed
ActiveState tclsh, but I don't know if port uses its own internal
version or something?

Any suggestions on where to start debugging this?

So far I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, selfupgrade, moving
fink (/sw) out of the way in case it was causing a conflict, but with
no luck. I get this problem on almost all packages. Interestingly, it
was not there originally - at least, there are some packages which I
had installed before I removed and reinstalled port, which now fail
to install.

Thanks for any help,
dave