p5-test-harness conflict with perl5.8 @5.8.8_2

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Fri Apr 4 16:47:44 PDT 2008

On Apr 4, 2008, at 7:06 PM, macports-users-
request at lists.macosforge.org wrote:
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 13:30:09 -0400
> From: William Davis <frstan at bellsouth.net>
> Subject: Re: p5-test-harness conflict with perl5.8 @5.8.8_2
> To: Roger Hoover <roger.hoover at gmail.com>
> Cc: macports-users at lists.macosforge.org
> On Apr 4, 2008, at 12:58 PM, Roger Hoover wrote:
>
>> After upgrading my perl5.8 port to 5.8.8_2, I'm getting a conflict
>> with the p5-test-harness port.  Ultimately, I'm trying to install p5-
>> dbi but the dependency chain breaks on p5-test-harness.  Anyone else
>> having this problem?
>>
>> sudo port install p5-test-harness
>> --->  Fetching p5-test-harness
>> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for p5-test-harness
>> --->  Extracting p5-test-harness
>> --->  Configuring p5-test-harness
>> --->  Building p5-test-harness with target all
>> --->  Staging p5-test-harness into destroot
>> You must install or activate this package with '-f' (force) as it
>> needs to overwrite files installed by the perl5.8 port
>> --->  Installing p5-test-harness 2.64_1
>> --->  Activating p5-test-harness 2.64_1
>> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: /opt/
>> local/bin/prove is being used by the active perl5.8 port.  Please
>> deactivate this port first, or use the -f flag to force the
>> activation.
>> Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>>

> sudo port -df activate p5-test-harness
>
> that will "force" the activation. This is normal for pearl. There are
> a fair number of pearl modules that work this way.

s/pearl/perl/;

I don't know enough about macports yet to comment on the macports-
specific issues at hand.  But let me note that Perl 5.8.0 was
released in July 2002 and Test::Harness was one of its core modules.
Both Perl and Test::Harness have evolved considerably since then.  In
particular, Test::Harness underwent a major change at version 2.64 --
precisely the version noted in the message above.  The current stable
release of Perl is 5.10 (released December 2007) and the version of
Test::Harness that accompanied Perl 5.10 is basically the same as
that in 2.64.