using native python 2.5 as opposed to installing 2.4

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Apr 6 16:54:30 PDT 2008

On Apr 6, 2008, at 16:28, John Velman wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 07:55:41PM +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
>> Randall Wood wrote:

I search it using Google, e.g.:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=site%
3Alists.macosforge.org+foo&btnG=Search

>>> I can speak to why we don't use the system python, but not to
>>> rdiff-backup:
>>>
>>> The system python would have to be modified to see the
>>> MacPorts-installed python packages or MacPorts would have to stick
>>> those packages outside of its managed directory. MacPorts uses a
>>> single managed directory[1] to avoid collisions with other software
>>> that would break the ability to manage the ports. To avoid modifying
>>> the system python, MacPorts installs its own python as well.
>>>
>>> [1] /opt/local by default. There are some exceptions
>>> /Applications/MacPorts so that apps just work and are visible in the
>>> Applications directory and a couple of others related to
>>> bootstrapping
>>> in MacPorts to begin with.
>>
>> as i sit here watching a whole parallel universe of gnu utils,
>> python,
>> ... being built and installed, i am not comfortable.  i know that
>> i will
>> now have to maintain this overbuilt universe as time passes.

Sorry you're not comfortable with it, but MacPorts is designed to use
its own libraries, not system libraries, wherever possible. See the FAQ:

http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/wiki/
FAQ#WhyisMacPortsusingitsownlibraries

>> and then i get the appended and wonder how i scrape all this stuff
>> i do
>> not need out.  sqlite?  someone's kidding, right?

sqlite3 is currently an indirect dependency of subversion. I guess
you either asked to install subversion, or something else that you
asked to install required subversion in order to download its source.

I can tell you how to build subversion 1.4.6 without sqlite3.
However, note that as of subversion 1.5.0, sqlite3 will be required
by subversion itself and will therefore no longer be optional. To
build subversion without sqlite3:

sudo port clean --work apr-util subversion
sudo port install apr-util +no_sqlite
sudo port install subversion

To discover this, examine the available variants of the ports. For
example:

port variants apr-util

apr-util has the variants:
         universal: Build for multiple architectures
         no_bdb: Build without BerkeleyDB support
         no_sqlite: Build without sqlite support
         openldap: Build with OpenLDAP support
         postgresql82: Build with postgres support (using postgresql
v8.2)

>> --->  Fetching sqlite3
>> --->  Attempting to fetch sqlite-3.5.7.tar.gz from http://
>> www.sqlite.org/
>> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for sqlite3
>> --->  Extracting sqlite3
>> --->  Configuring sqlite3
>> --->  Building sqlite3 with target all
>> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd
>> "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
>> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_data
>> bases_sqlite3/work/sqlite-3.5.7"
>> && gnumake all " returned error 2
>> Command output: sed -e s/--VERS--/3.5.7/ ./src/sqlite.h.in | \
>>         sed -e s/--VERSION-NUMBER--/3005007/ >sqlite3.h
>> /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -O2 -o mkkeywordhash  ./tool/mkkeywordhash.c
>> ./mkkeywordhash >keywordhash.h
>> /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -O2 -o lemon ./tool/lemon.c
>> cp ./tool/lempar.c .
>> cp ./src/parse.y .
>> ./lemon  parse.y
>> mv parse.h parse.h.temp
>> f ./addopcodes.awk parse.h.temp >parse.h
>> /bin/sh: f: command not found
>> gnumake: [parse.c] Error 127 (ignored)
>> cat parse.h ./src/vdbe.c |  -f ./mkopcodeh.awk >opcodes.h
>> /bin/sh: -f: command not found
>> cat: stdout: Broken pipe
>> gnumake: *** [opcodes.h] Error 127
>>
>> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: subversion apr-
>> util
>> sqlite3 neon
>> Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.

This bug has been reported here:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/14938

I've added you to the Cc list so you'll be informed of its progress.
The message "f: command not found" suggests to me that it could not
find some program that it needed, whose name should have appeared
before "f". It may help if you clean ("sudo port clean --work
sqlite3") and then build again with debug output enabled ("sudo port -
d install sqlite3") and attach that output to the ticket, to assist
the maintainer in finding a solution.

> Three parallel universes!  I've also got Fink, but I don't remember
> why!
> As an old Unix/Linux user (not expert, but journeyman) I went over
> to Mac
> when my 8 year old PC (with slackware) seemed too difficult for
> some new
> things, and Leopard + the new iMac was a package I couldn't not try.
>
> Reading up before hand I found advice to install either or both of
> MacPorts
> and Fink.  I didn't at first, but the SWI prolog Mac community
> seemed to be
> using MacPorts, so I got it.  Also wanted gvim, so got vim package
> from
> MacPorts.  And so on.  I've now got 35M in my /opt/local/bin file,
> and 6.5M
> in my sw/bin file.

Installing MacPorts and Fink at the same time is not supported.
Software from the one might start linking with libraries from the
other. When you run into problems because of this, nobody here will
be able to help you with it. If there is something you need which is
in Fink but not in MacPorts, please let us know by filing a port
request ticket so that it can be added to MacPorts.