Why does link pick up wrong library

Tim Lyons guy.linton at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 15:08:02 PDT 2008

Thanks for the reply.

On 8 Apr 2008, at 05:10, Peter O'Gorman wrote:

> Tim Lyons wrote:
>> I must be missing something very elementary here!
>>
>> I am trying to install gnome-python-extras, but the configure step
>> fails. So I have extracted out the failing part, and it fails
>> trying to
>> link because it can't find /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib, which
>> isn't surprising as there is no such file.
>
> Check that /opt/local/lib/libfreetype.dylib has the correct
> install_name:
>
> otool -D /opt/local/lib/libfreetype.dylib

This gives
tim$ otool -D libfreetype.dylib
libfreetype.dylib:
/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib

So the 'install name' of the library is /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.
6.dylib. But what does this mean?

When I try to run the application, it still says
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
   Referenced from: /opt/local/var/macports/build/
_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_gnome_g
nome-python-extras/work/gnome-python-extras-2.19.1/./conftest
   Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap

Is libfreetype built wrongly? What should I do to correct it?
freetype was installed using MacPorts, and seemed to install
successfully.
--->  Fetching freetype
--->  Attempting to fetch freetype-2.3.5.tar.bz2 from http://
download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/freetype/
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for freetype
--->  Extracting freetype
--->  Applying patches to freetype
--->  Configuring freetype
--->  Building freetype with target all
--->  Staging freetype into destroot
--->  Installing freetype 2.3.5_1
--->  Activating freetype 2.3.5_1
--->  Cleaning freetype

I don't understand why it refers to 10.16.0, when the build was
2.3.5. The otool for libfreetype is:
tim$ otool -L libfreetype.dylib
libfreetype.dylib:
         /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib (compatibility version
10.0.0, current version 10.16.0)
         /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 1.2.3)
         /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/
CoreServices (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 18.0.0)
         /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/
Versions/A/ApplicationServices (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 22.0.0)
         /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
current version 88.1.7)

Regards,
Tim Lyons