PPC Wireshark 1.0 won't display interfaces - fixed

Mark Lucas mllists at arc.co.uk
Wed Apr 16 14:06:59 PDT 2008

>On 14/04/08 07:29, Mark Lucas wrote:
>>>Wireshark must be run via sudo to sniff interfaces.
>
>> Thanks, yes I know. sudo -b wireshark has always worked for me. I have
>> wireshark 1.0 working on an intel iMac so I'm assuming this is a
>> problem specific to PPC. the point is my PPC version of Wireshark
>> simply does not list any of the available interfaces in any of its
>> config windows.
>
>Sorry for the misunderstanding, BTW I'm using wireshark 1.0 on 10.5.2 PPC
>without problems, so it's not likely a macports' issue.
>
>Gufo

it appears that Wireshark is looking for dumpcap in the wrong location. On my machine it has been installed by Wireshark/macports in /opt/local/bin/, Wireshark expects it in /opt/local/share/. I assume this is a Wireshark bug.
creating a symbolic link  /opt/local/share/dumpcap  to  /opt/local/bin/dumpcap fixed the problem.