error installing cogito

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Apr 20 13:28:13 PDT 2008

On Apr 20, 2008, at 7:24 AM, Peter Eddy wrote:

> Hello, I ran into the error below trying to install git and cogito. My
> ports installation was a mess, so I deleted it and started again with
> a fresh install. Same problem. Any ideas?
>
> thanks,
> Peter
>
> --->  Fetching cogito
> --->  Attempting to fetch cogito-0.18.2.tar.bz2 from
> http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/cogito/
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for cogito
> --->  Extracting cogito
> --->  Applying patches to cogito
> --->  Configuring cogito
> --->  Building cogito with target all
> --->  Staging cogito into destroot
> Error: Target org.macports.destroot returned: shell command " cd
> "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel
> _cogito/work/cogito-0.18.2"
> && gnumake install prefix=/opt/local
> DESTDIR=/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel
> _cogito/work/destroot
> " returned error 2
> Command output: m755 -d
> /opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel
> _cogito/work/destroot/opt/local/bin
> gnumake: m755: Command not found

[snip]

Are you on Leopard? If so, can you please just try running "sudo port
install cogito" (or whatever command you executed) again?

The cogito makefile is trying to do this:

$(INSTALL) -m755 -d $(DESTDIR)$(bindir)

In your case, "$(INSTALL)" seems to be empty and so it's trying to
take the next word ("m755") as a command name, which it isn't. (Why
the "-" before "m755" is missing I don't know.) This (various
software packages not finding the programs they need to compile) has
happened to many Leopard users for reasons we don't understand, and
just trying it a second time has always resolved it so far.