UpdatingPorts

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Apr 20 21:03:57 PDT 2008

On Apr 20, 2008, at 7:18 PM, Peter Koellner wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Apr 2008, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Are you running Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard? If so, this may be the well-
>> known but not yet fully-understood problem that Guido and I have
>> been talking about on the list today. If so, a workaround is to
>> simply try the upgrade again and it should work.
>
> i get this relatively often, too. I think what happens is that some
> make prerequisite is missing, but not added to the autoconf
> configuration.
> For example:
>
> Say, you do something like
>
> $(RM) -f foo.bar
>
> in your makefile and assume that every sane environment has $(RM)
> defined as rm or something else.
>
> Then, RM is for some reason undefined - what command will make see?
>
> -f foo.bar
>
> So you have to look for undefined variables in the makefiles. Most of
> the time they should be more or less easy to find for the rest of the
> parametera following...

You don't have to look in the Makefiles for anything. You just have
to do whatever MacPorts command you issued a second time and it
should work.

Guido has suggested a reason why this is causing problems for Leopard
users, but I don't yet understand it or how to turn it into a fix
that we can apply in MacPorts:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2008-April/
009986.html