gcc42 hangs

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Apr 24 15:00:50 PDT 2008

On Apr 20, 2008, at 6:27 AM, Craig Niederberger wrote:

> Version of xcode: 3.0
> $ gcc --version
> i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)
>
>> What version of MacPorts do you have? 1.6.0? trunk?
> $ port --version
> MacPorts 1.600
> (Not sure what trunk means)

trunk is the latest not-yet-numbered version of MacPorts that's been
in development since the release of 1.6.0 / 1.600. I just wanted to
make sure you didn't have anything older than 1.6.0.

>> What version of gcc42 is being built?
> Not sure how to figure that out--just typing sudo port install
> gcc42 at this point

"port info gcc42" will tell you. I just want to make sure your ports
tree is up to date.

>> Finally, what port are you ultimately trying to install that's
>> requiring gcc42?
> It was part of a port install R (the statistical package) that was
> hanging on gcc42

True, R itself does declare a dependency on gcc42.

If gcc42 won't build for you but gcc43 will, you could try changing
the R portfile: change "port:gcc42" to "port:gcc43" and "macports-
gcc-4.2" to "macports-gcc-4.3". If R builds that way, you could file
a ticket requesting this change, and Cc the maintainer of R.