port midnight commander has problem on OS X 10.5.2

Frank Binder frank.fbi at web.de
Sun Apr 27 10:06:44 PDT 2008

Frank Binder wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> mc cannot change to directories whose names contain underscores.

The problem can be solved by installing the latest version of mc, which
is 4.6.2-pre1 at the time of writing.

https://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=5030

When using macports, the following worked for me:

tar -xzf mc-4.6.2-pre1.tar.gz
cd mc-4.6.2-pre1
./configure --prefix=/opt/local
sudo make install

--

If you want to avoid installing mc from source and rather wait for the
new version to be released and ported, you might disable the mc subshell

mc -u

as described in

(or man mc)

--

This problem came came up on many operating systems through a newer
version of bash (3.2.17, newer compared to those bash versions used up

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?18136

Regards, Frank