teTeX fails with probably unquoted path name containing spaces

Jerry lanceboyle at qwest.net
Wed Apr 30 17:05:31 PDT 2008

(OP responding to 3-4 helpful suggestions from others in this thread)

I edited the portfile as suggested to install texlive rather than
tetex. That results in this, when I re-try installing Octave:

/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -o xdvi-xaw.bin browser.o dvi-draw.o dvi-init.o
dvisel.o encodings.o events.o filehist.o font-open.o gf.o hypertex.o
image-magick.o mime.o my-snprintf.o my-vsnprintf.o pagehist.o pk.o
print-internal.o psdps.o psgs.o psheader.o psnews.o read-mapfile.o
search-internal.o special.o string-utils.o tfmload.o util.o vf.o
xdvi.o xserver-info.o x_util.o before Dec 12, 2007/lib  -L/opt/local/
lib ./gui/libgui.a ../../libs/t1lib/libt1.a ../../libs/t1lib/../type1/
libtype1.a -L/usr/local/ada-4.3 -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXaw -lXmu -lXt -
lSM -lICE -lXp -lXext -lXpm -lX11 -liconv ../kpathsea/.libs/
libkpathsea.a -lm
powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: before: No such file or directory
powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: Dec: No such file or directory
powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: 12,: No such file or directory
powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: 2007/lib: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [xdvi-xaw.bin] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 1

Error: The following dependencies failed to build: texlive
texlive_base texlive_texmf-full

The error seems to come from (1) My having a crufty Ada + other gcc
compilers installation in a directory called, probably in part,
"before Dec 12, 2007", (2) the installer for some reason _finding_ it
and (3) spaces in the path name going into an unquoted path string
somewhere. It was parallel to my "good" Ada installation but not in
my PATH variable. Hmmm.... So I de-crufted by trashing it, and still
get the above error. I'm guessing that the installer script is still
remembering that bad path. How do I restart the Octave installation?

FWIW, I started a thread on problems installing PLplot also, and
(after a clean jpeg operation that was suggested by an earlier
failure) with the (nearly?) exact same problem with the same pathname-
with-spaces at "--->  Building texlive_base with target all".

I've probably terribly confused everybody so maybe I should just
start over with these two installations now that I've gotten rid of
the spurious compiler collection. What is the best way to do that? I
have only one other macport installed, binutils.

Thanks,
Jerry