teTeX fails with probably unquoted path name containing spaces

Jerry lanceboyle at qwest.net
Wed Apr 30 20:12:15 PDT 2008

On Apr 30, 2008, at 6:29 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Apr 30, 2008, at 7:05 PM, Jerry wrote:
>
>> The error seems to come from (1) My having a crufty Ada + other
>> gcc compilers installation in a directory called, probably in
>> part, "before Dec 12, 2007", (2) the installer for some reason
>> _finding_ it and (3) spaces in the path name going into an
>> unquoted path string somewhere. It was parallel to my "good" Ada
>> installation but not in my PATH variable. Hmmm.... So I de-crufted
>> by trashing it, and still get the above error. I'm guessing that
>> the installer script is still remembering that bad path. How do I
>> restart the Octave installation?
>
> port clean --work octave

Did that. Then did sudo port install octave once again, with pretty
much the same results--same pathname problem. I'm getting the teTeX
complaint again but there is no portfile for octave to edit. Also, I
have texlive_texmf-minimal installed--I don't know if that satisfies
Octave's requirement. If so, why is it still trying to install teTeX.

Jerry

/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -o xdvi-xaw.bin browser.o dvi-draw.o dvi-init.o
dvisel.o encodings.o events.o filehist.o font-open.o gf.o hypertex.o
image-magick.o mime.o my-snprintf.o my-vsnprintf.o pagehist.o pk.o
print-internal.o psdps.o psgs.o psheader.o psnews.o read-mapfile.o
search-internal.o special.o string-utils.o tfmload.o util.o vf.o
xdvi.o xserver-info.o x_util.o before Dec 12, 2007/lib  -L/opt/local/
lib ./gui/libgui.a ../../libs/t1lib/libt1.a ../../libs/t1lib/../type1/
libtype1.a -L/usr/local/ada-4.3 -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXaw -lXmu -lXt -
lSM -lICE -lXp -lXext -lX11 -liconv -lXpm ../kpathsea/.libs/
libkpathsea.a -lmpowerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: before: No such
file or directorypowerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: Dec: No such file
or directorypowerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: 12,: No such file or
directorypowerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: 2007/lib: No such file or
directorymake[2]: *** [xdvi-xaw.bin] Error 1make[1]: *** [all] Error
1make: *** [all] Error 1
Error: The following dependencies failed to build: teTeX